Refugee Claims from Within Canada
The government of Canada offers safe haven to refugees in Canada who fear persecution based on race, religion, nationality, political opinion or membership in a particular social group in another country or whose removal from Canada would subject them to threat of torture, a risk to their life or a risk of cruel and unusual treatment or punishment. The Canadian government assesses each claim on its own merits, and according to specific legal criteria such as internal flight alternative, credibility, alternative places of claiming refugee status, and other criteria. Timeliness of making a claim may be an issue for some refugee claimants, with more questions arising out of a longer delay in making a refugee claim.
The refugee system is inquisitorial which means a member of the Immigration & Refugee Board will ask questions related to the refugee claim . Preparation by an Toronto immigration lawyer regarding the format and issues that arise at such hearings is essential for success.
- Anyone Can Be A Representative under Canada’s Immigration Website
- An Alternative Dispute Resolution at the Immigration Refugee Board – Withdraw?
- Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s update’s its Sponsorship of Parents and Grandparents for 2017
- Removal Orders in the Canadian Immigration Law Context
- Letter of Invitation for a visitor visa in the Canadian Immigration context
- Recent Changes to the Express Entry’s Comprehensive Ranking system
- PART III: Express Entry – The Canadian Experience Class
- PART II: Express Entry – The Canadian Skilled Trades Program
- Part I – Express Entry – The Federal Skilled Worker Program
- Are you a Foreign National in Canada and just graduated?