Refugee Claims from Within Canada
The government of Canada offers safe haven to refugees in Canada who fear persecution based on race, religion, nationality, political opinion or membership in a particular social group in another country or whose removal from Canada would subject them to threat of torture, a risk to their life or a risk of cruel and unusual treatment or punishment. The Canadian government assesses each claim on its own merits, and according to specific legal criteria such as internal flight alternative, credibility, alternative places of claiming refugee status, and other criteria. Timeliness of making a claim may be an issue for some refugee claimants, with more questions arising out of a longer delay in making a refugee claim.
The refugee system is inquisitorial which means a member of the Immigration & Refugee Board will ask questions related to the refugee claim . Preparation by an Toronto immigration lawyer regarding the format and issues that arise at such hearings is essential for success.
- Reviewing The Reviewers: A Guide to Online Reviews of Lawyers
- Canadian Sponsorship of Parents to Increase to 17000
- The Polarizing World of Irregular Migrants
- Competing Priorities Under Canada’s Immigration Laws
- CIC News June 2018
- Citizenship Revocation recent update
- The Permanent Residence program for live-in Caregivers is coming to an End
- How to Apply for a Study permit for Canada – the logic of a study permit from outside of Canada
- I have a visitor Status in Canada can I apply for a work permit in Canada?
- Loss of Canadian Permanent Resident Status